3.29.2009

DO YOU TWITTER?

I don’t Twitter and I continue to be ignorant of the Twitter activity. I have adhered late to SMSing and it will take me some time before I go twitter. As I understand it, Twitter is an instant communication channel. An instant intrusion both ways. I view it as a nuisance. Surely, at least by now, I won’t twitter.

Twitter is a Web site and service that lets users send short text messages from their cellphones to a group of friends or colleagues. Launched in 2006, Twitter www.twitter.com) was designed for people to keep others up-to-date on their activities. The Twitter site explains its purpose as "keeping friends, family and co-workers connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?"

Updates are displayed on the user's profile page and delivered to other users who have signed up to receive them. The sender can restrict delivery to those in his or her circle of friends (delivery to everyone being the default). Users can receive updates via the Twitter website, SMS, RSS, email or through an application.