2.17.2012

SOLO LIFE: THE SINGLETONS

Singletons: Esse termo veio para ficar!
"The proliferation of solitary dwellers is the subject of Eric Klinenberg's new book, "Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone".
"Kate Bollick's essay "All the Single Ladies" in the Atlantic. It is a first-person account of becoming a singleton. "
"Singleton life seems to be something that every person experiences as a private matter, but in fact it's a major and widely shared part of our social condition. We need to step back and think about how we got here and what it means for us now."
" I lived alone in graduate school and really enjoyed the experience. I enjoyed the freedom to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it, whether that meant going out late at night or leaving the country on a whim. I enjoyed the solitude. It allowed me to be productive in my work and in my own personal life. I look back on it as a key experience. For me, it was a pivotal point. It was how I grew up. Now that we delay marriage as long as we do, living alone is a vital part of becoming an adult."
"http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2012/02/qa-eric-klinenberg?fsrc=nlw%7Cnewe%7C2-17-2012%7Cnew_on_the_economist